1. The New River, London Difficulty: Leisurely Walking time: 1 hour 16 minutes Length: 4.2km / 2.6mi Start location: Robin Redmond Resource Centre Route Summary: A very green walk, mainly following the New River Path. Most of the walk follows the main route of the capital ring to Finsbury Park to the Castle in Green Lanes and returns along the alternative route of the capital ring to Finsbury Park.
2. Richmond Town & Country, London Difficulty: Leisurely Walking time: 1 hour 30 minutes Length: 7.2km / 4.5mi Start location: Richmond Station Route Summary: A circular walk from Richmond Station with fine views and several options to extend or shorten the walk. The main options are a ‘Town & Country walk’ to Richmond Park (4.6 – 5 miles) or a shorter, more accessible, ‘Town & Riverside walk’ (3 – 3.5 miles).
3. Hadrian’s Wall, Northumberland Difficulty: Moderate Walking time: 6 hours Length: 17.0km / 10.5mi Start location: Steel Rigg car park, Northumberland Route Summary: A 10-mile circular walk from Steel Rigg along Hadrian’s Wall Path via Housesteads and Vindolanda.
4. Melverley to Trefonen, Shropshire Difficulty: Moderate Walking time: 5 hours Length: 22.1km / 13.8mi Start location: St Peter’s Church, Melverley Route Summary: A linear walk along a new section of The Shropshire Way, starting in Melverley and ending in Trefonen.
5. Beacon Hill, Leicestershire Difficulty: Moderate Walking time: 5 hours 30 minutes Length: 16.7km / 10.4mi Start location: Beacon Hill, Leicestershire Route Summary: A 10-mile circular walk from Beacon Hill along part of the Leicestershire Round via Bradgate Park.
6. Gunnerside & Melbecks Morr, North Yorkshire Difficulty: Leisurely Walking time: 2 hours 57 minutes Length: 9.5km / 5.9mi Start location: Gunnerside Route Summary: A 3-hour circular walk from Gunnerside in the upper Swale Valley, North Yorkshire taking in old lead mine workings and Melbecks Moor.
7. Bodmin Moor, Cornwall Difficulty: Strenuous Walking time: 4 hours 15 minutes Length: 13.2km / 8.2mi Start location: Bodmin Moor, Cornwall Route Summary: A circular walk from Roughtor car park via Rough Tor, Brown Willy and Garrow. Some clear paths, including waymarked permissive paths, but also pathless, featureless terrain that can get boggy. Navigational skills are important.
8. Culmstock 1, Devon Difficulty: Leisurely Walking time: 1 hours 49 minutes Length: 6.0km / 3.8mi Start location: War memorial in Culmstock village Route Summary: This circular rural walk in the lovely Culm valley can be added to Culmstock 2 to make a longer route. Any road walking is on quiet country roads. This walk has only 3 stiles, a total walk ascent of 320 ft and no steep climbs
9. Along the stream and up onto the Moors, Bristol Difficulty: Leisurely Walking time: 45 minutes Length: 2.4km / 1.5mi Start location: Lawrence Weston Community Farm Route Summary: A lovely walk starting along the cycle path. It will then follow a stream and goes up onto the moors (this stretch can be muddy at times.)
10. Ditchling Beacon and the Albion, East Sussex Difficulty: Leisurely Walking time: 3 hours Length: 11.1km / 6.9mi Start location: Falmer, Sussex University Route Summary: A new take on a popular walk to Ditchling Beacon, using open access land, or the opportunity to reverse the walk to walk from Ditchling to a football match at the Falmer stadium. The walk may be shortened.
11. Winchelsea & Rye, East Sussex Difficulty: Easy Access Walking time: 1 hour Length: 3.3km / 2.0mi Start location: Rye, car park or station Route Summary: Linear ramble on cycle route from Rye to Wincheslea, offering varied views of marshland to the south and hillside to the north. Good for wildlife. Short road section near the beginning.
12. Amlwch, Anglesey Difficulty: Moderate Walking time: 6 hours Length: 19.4km / 12.0mi Start location: Bus stop near Co-op in Amlwch Route Summary: Anglesey’s Coastal Path – now part of the 870-mile Wales Coast Path – comprises a variety of fine coastal landscapes: beaches, dunes, coves, impressive rock formations, harbours and nature reserves. The walking is generally quite easy.
13. Newgale to St Davids, Pembrokeshire Difficulty: Leisurely Walking time: 4 hours 30 minutes Length: 15.5km / 9.6mi Start location: Newgale, SA62 6AS, Wales Route Summary: Coastal walk from Newgale to St David’s via the picturesque Solva Village along Pembrokeshire’s glorious Coast Path. This walk takes in impressive views over Solva’s splendid harbour and the cathedral of St David’s.
14. Craigellachie National Nature Reserve, Highland, Scotland Difficulty: Moderate Walking time: 2 hours Length: 6.0km / 3.7mi Start location: Aviemore, Highlands Route Summary: A woodland and hill walk through Craigellachie National Nature Reserve in Aviemore.
15. Dunkeld & Lock of the Lowes, Perthshire Difficulty: Moderate Walking time: 3 hours Length: 10.2km / 6.3mi Start location: Atholl car park, Dunkeld Route Summary: A 6-mile circular walk through countryside around Dunkeld in Perthshire.